Ellie is, without a doubt, the most hilarious child in the history of ever. And I'm not just saying that because I gave birth to her delicious red head. At 17 months old, she has a vocabulary that rivals 2 and 3 year olds. "Here ya go," is one of her favorites. "Here ya go, Mom, 'mote (remote control)," "Here ya go," as she unloads the dishwasher. It's always dirty when she does this, but it's still adorable. One day, when she wanted to go outside, I said, "Ok, Mommy has to get her shoes." I walked toward my bedroom, and she ran past me, into her room, grabbed her Uggs, and said, "Here ya go, Mom, shoes."
"Okay," is another good one. She'll stand at the kitchen counter and say, "Nana! Nana!" (banana). When one of us says, "Do you want a banana?" She'll say, "Okay." It's like she's saying, "Well, I mean, if you insist, Mom, I guess I'll eat a banana. A girl needs her potassium, after all."
She LOVES going outside. She'll put her coat on over her pajamas, and bang on the door, "Open door. Open door. Outside!"
She's stubborn as all hell. Today she casually dropped a piece of toast from her highchair (totally on purpose). I told her, very sternly, that it was not okay to throw food on the floor. A few minutes later, she chucked an even bigger piece across the room. It earned her an extended timeout where Brian and I insisted she tell Mommy sorry. It took almost two hours, and I'm still not totally sure she actually said it, but it sort of sounded like "sorry," so I let her out. She did give me an I'm sorry hug and kiss, which was just as good as far as I'm concerned.
And, oh, is she sweet. So sweet. When I pick her up from daycare she comes RUNNING to me. "Mom! Mom! Her ya go, Mom, bag (hands me her diaper bag). Shoes. Ellie's shoes! (grabs her shoes). Coat. Here ya go, Mom, coat (hands me her coat). Bye! Bye-bye! Bye! (waving at everyone in the house). All of this takes place within two minutes. It's not that she doesn't like her daycare provider, but she's always so excited to see us when we get there.
And smart. I shouldn't be surprised, because her dad's IQ is nearly genius level, and I'm not exactly a moron myself. But I don't know that I've ever met a child her age who could essentially recite a Dr. Seuss book to me. She picked one up the other day, said, "Bug!" Then flipped through the pages and told me what was happening on them. "Bug 'neeze (sneeze). Drop, bonk (the seed dropped and bonked the worm). Bucket. Policeman. BOAT!" She was correct every time.
She can tell me which clothes are mine and which are Brian's when I'm folding laundry.
When we put her onesies on, we always count "1, 2, 3, Go." A few nights ago, after Brian said "2," she said, "3!"
It's mildly frightening, if I'm being honest. She's going to be smarter than me in about a month at this rate.
She still occasionally gets up in the middle of the night. A few weeks ago it was pretty early morning, around 3, and I brought her into our bed, put her in between Brian and I. She patted Brian on the back, "Dad," poked him, "Dad," poked him again, "DAD."" He rolled over and looked at her, and she said, "Hi," all sweet and sly-like. A few days ago we had a similar experience, except when Brian rolled over she started naming off his facial features, "Daddy's eye," jabbed a chubby little finger in his eye, "Daddy's nose," squished his nose, etc. We couldn't stop laughing, even though it was 4 a.m.
And I'd love to post pictures, but Brian took the camera to work with him. We're not great about taking pictures, anyway. Too busy, and when you take pictures you miss out on what you're taking pictures of, unfortunately. We both work full time, so missing moments isn't really an option as far as we're concerned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment