Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Monday, March 31, 2008

Appointment made at the U of I

So today I called the University of Iowa and made an appointment myself. My insurance doesn't require a referral, so I took charge. They can't get me in until May 12th, but I made the appointment anyway. Now my dilema is do I go back to my current doctor and try another round of fertility drugs and IUI, or take the month off, relax, konwing I won't get pregnant so my hopes won't be up, then start fresh at U of I. Any suggestions? I'm struggling with this decision.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you for taking charge! I would try another round... you never know, it just might work and then the appointment at U of I might not be necessary after all! And if not, then you already have the appointment set.

I'll keep praying for you and Brian!

-Crystal

Anonymous said...

I would definately do another round here while you are waiting. Not trying will only leave you another month without a baby. It must be hard to go through all of the medications and procedures but hopefully if you keep your mind on the end result, it will be a little bit easier to deal with during the process! Praying for you always!
Nikki

Type A Images said...

Csria, I just wanted to say that I admire your strength and I'm thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

I have a new "home" on the web if you want to drop by. http://type-a-images.blogspot.com
I ended up having to change the name after all the trouble.

: )

Jessica said...

I would try another round. But this time put your foot down and make them do the testing to make sure it is the right time for IUI. Youve waited so long already. And this way you know that if it doesnt work you have that appt at U of I as a great bck-up!

Jon, Jess & baby Michael

Megan Deyen said...

Cort,
I too think you should do everything you can to keep trying. My other piece of advice is to ask all the questions you can (which I am sure you do). I ask all the questions I need to until I feel comfortable with whatever I am dealing with and that helps make sure you are doing all you can. It is really hard for me to see women who I know will make fantastic mothers have a hard time. One very good friend and one friend of mine have miscarried during my pregnancy this time around and those have been the hardest days for me through all of this. I start feeling guilty for being pregnant and those feelings are horrible but I am sure cannot compare to the difficulties you and Brian have had or my friends have to deal with losing their babies. I hope the U of I will help you as much as you wish. I have had great dealings with some of their other departments when I was in school and trust them a lot. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and wish you the best. Please take all my advice as just that. I am by know means an expert at this but I want to see you get what you and Brian so rightly deserve.

Just Me said...

Having lost faith in your current doc, I think changing to U of I is the way to go.

I have no definite opinion on whether you should go another round with the current doc while waiting for U of I. Have you and Brian ever "taken time off" from your efforts over the last three years? If you haven't, maybe a one-month break would be a nice little holiday from all things baby. Fertility struggles can be really hard on a marriage, even when you're both solidly committed to becoming parents.

Maybe you can use this month to indulge yourselves in something you wouldn't do while trying to conceive. What are the things you've been avoiding since you boarded this ride? How about a wine-and-cheese feast for two?

Best of luck to you. I have no doubt that your dreams will come true.

Unknown said...

Cort,

Wanted to chime in as another voice in the "good for you!" chorus (although I promise to not really sing because no one here needs to hear that...).

I am so proud of you for taking charge and doing what is best for you.

I continue to keep my fingers crossed and keep saying regular prayers for you and Brian.