Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Three-year anniversary

So April 1, 2008, marks three years of trying to conceive for my husband and myself. Three years of disappointment and tears. Three years of surgeries, medications, ultrasounds, and exams. Three years of no explanation whatsoever for why we can't have a child.

No one expects infertility. It's like cancer or STDs or horrific plane crashes: It'll never happen to me. That's that attitude with which we went into this. At 24 years old, we were actually a bit scared at how quickly we would conceive. We were young and thought we were ready, but what a huge step we were about to take. Given family histories on both sides, we had no reason to believe we'd ever be in this position three years later.

The story of our journey is a long one, which I will type out piece by piece, post by post, but right now I'm feeling so defeated. Two couples we know have gotten pregnant TWICE in the time we've been trying. I feel as if I'm forever surrounded by happily pregnant women. I don't deny them their happiness or their children, it's just hard to watch sometimes. I had a massive breakdown at a friend's baby shower last August that left me in tears for days. I felt awful. I made her shower about my issues, and that wasn't fair. I skipped another good friend's baby shower recently for fear the same thing would happen again. This infertility has not only affected our plans to have children, it's affected the relationships I have with friends and family. I'm unable to participate in happy events because me emotions overcome me and I break down into tears. How is that fair?

This month we did our first IUI -- intrauterine insemination. I was again on Clomid and the doctor told me to call when I got a positive ovulation predictor test. I got a positive on Day 15 of my cycle, which is about 10 days earlier than usual for me. I expressed concern that the test was inaccurate because I had just finished a round of Clomid five days previous and Clomid can give you false positives on OPKs, but they told me to come on in and we did the procedure. They offered no ultrasound to check follicle size and assure that I was, in fact, ovulating so we didn't waste our time, and I didn't ask about it because I assumed they knew what they were doing. I was really excited and hopeful until this week when I got two negative pregnancy tests and realize my period is on its way. I'm convinced we wasted that IUI because my doctor didn't bother with an ultrasound, and I'm angry, disappointed, and just generally let down. I'm basing this on my charting of temperatures and some cramping I had seven days after my IUI which I at first thought was implantation, but now realize was ovulation.

I'm not sure who I'm more angry at, my doctor or myself. Is it my fault for not demanding the monitoring I thought was appropriate, or is it my doctor's fault for never offering it in the first place? Am I really supposed to follow behind my practitioners to be sure they're following protocol for the medications they give me? The responsible answer is, of course, yes. I take some responsibility for this, because I should have researched more and demanded the ultrasound. We are all responsible for our own medical care. However, I still hold them mostly responsible. They are the experts. They're the ones who are supposed to make sure things are done correctly. I feel betrayed.

Tomorrow (Monday), I'm calling and demanding a referral to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, something I should have done two years ago. If they won't give me a referral, I'll call the U of I directly and make myself an appointment. Now I'M in charge.

The problem is, I've hit this wall. The more testing and procedures we do, the closer we get to the harsh reality that we may never have children. That fact makes me want to stop here and now and just live peacefully in the knowledge that if we tried harder I could probably get pregnant, instead of possibly having to live the rest of my life knowing we exhausted every option, and I will still never get to see my biological children. I'll never get to see if they get my eyes, but Brian's long, curly eyelashes. If they get his fantastic smile, or my complete inability to have a picture taken of me without looking like I'm suffering from Bells Palsy or just smelled something really awful. If they get his outgoing personality, or my more shy, reserved nature. If they get his aptitude for math and all things technical, or if they get my artistic nature. Right-brained or left-brained. Maybe they'd get both. We may never know.

So here I sit almost three years after we decided we wanted a family, wondering how I will handle it if that never happens. How do you give up that dream?

7 comments:

Aunt Pat said...

Dear Cort~ I'm soo sorry you are having to go through all of this. While I don't know how you feel, I can identify with your sorrow because of Paula's issues. I never would have thought any of my girls would have pregnancy problems; I didn't.

Hang in there, Honey. Things have a way of working out ... just not always how we plan.

God bless. Love, Aunt Pat

Anonymous said...

Cort --
I read your blog with tears in my eyes. My heart aches for you. But, I truly believe that, one way or another, you will have a child of your own. Know that I have been praying for you and Brian, and will continue to do so.

Andorthy said...

Cort,
I believe in the power of prayer and in miracles as well. This is perhaps the end of one chapter in your lives and the beginning of another. I keep you and Brian in my prayers always.
Love you both!
Andorthy

Jake and Emily said...

Cortney, you & Brian have been through so much...and I have been praying for you that your dreams come true. Like Aunt Pat said, things DO have a way of working out...just not always how & WHEN we plan...Jake & I know that very well.

We'll always support your decisions and pray for your happiness and peace through this journey. I hope you can get things squared away with your Drs. & get a referral to UIHC.

Anonymous said...

Cort,

I know it's difficult, but try and stay positive. I have a lot of faith in the U of I. That's where my IU worked. I also did not have an ultrasound, I don't know that they do that there either, however my ovulation time was normal for me. Maybe the longer you're on Clomed, the more regular your cycle will become. I'll keep you in my prayers also, and I definately belive there is a plan for each of us we don't know. Although it is frustrating, trust and stay positive.

Love,

Ang

Anonymous said...

Cort, I read your blog remembering having the same exact feelings.

Remember that I am living proof that it WILL happen. It took 11 years for me... and now quads?

Find yourself a specialist that utilizes the ultrasound technique. Not all of them do. Only my last doctor did that. I wasted a lot of time and money going to doctors who I thought were experts. Also, Clomid is about the lowest form of fertility drug out there. Maybe the U of I will put you on Follistim.

I gave up several times, but I am so thankful that this past August I heeded my OB-GYN's advice and went to a different specialist. At the ripe old age of 35, I was ready to give it one last try and then throw in the towel. It was hanging in there one more time for me.

Don't give up!!
You're in my prayers.
Christina

Lori Galindo said...

Cort,

I read the posts at the court reporters' forum but for some reason can't post there. I followed the link to this blog because I wanted to tell you about my sister Kara. She and her husband tried unsuccessfully for 10 years to have kids, and yesterday she delivered her second set of twins. The first two are now almost 2 1/2.

The doctors kept insisting there was no reason she shouldn't be able to get pregnant, since all the tests showed they were both healthy. In the end the problem was that his sperm was not compatible with her eggs. Even in vitro didn't work until they tried IXY. I can't remember what the acronym stands for or even if that's right, but it's where they crack the egg so the sperm can penetrate. Basically she never would have gotten pregnant without this procedure.

It was a long, long journey, but the second time around she got pregnant with the first in vitro attempt because they had the protocol down to a science.

She, too, was ready to throw in the towel and is now so glad she didn't. I don't know what the right decision will be for you, but I just wanted you to know there is still hope and maybe more avenues to explore.

I wish you only the best. My kids are older and were born before my sister even started trying to get pregnant, but she went through exactly what you are going through now, struggling with why it was so easy for me, as well as al her friends, to get pregnant but not her, and I'm sure she could totally relate to everything you have written about.

Hang in there. My prayers are with you.

Lori,
a court reporter from San Diego