You know how in my last post I was all, "Oh, my baby sleeps from 10 or 11 until 5 a.m. She rocks! Also, she naps during the day!"
I swear to God, the child can read, because I no more than hit "Publish Post" and she started completely boycotting sleep in any form. I'd try to get her to nap during the day, and as soon as I'd put her down to try to clean or take a shower she'd be all, "Oh, you thought I was sleeping?? No, no, no, I was just resting my eyes. Oh, and since I'm awake, you might as well feed me again. I'm wasting away to nothing over here, lady."
This even continued into the night on Monday, which drove Brian and I both insane. As soon as I'd lay down and get comfortable after putting her in her crib, all sound asleep and peaceful, she'd wake up.
She also started the cluster feeding thing again.
As much as I want to listen to the "experts" saying I should feed her on demand, I just can't do it. I can get nothing done, and I was going insane. My mom thought her wacky eating schedule might have something to do with her wacky sleeping schedule, too, because she was eating just enough to be satisfied, but not full, so she never got full enough to fall asleep for longer than 10 minutes, so to put a stop to this, my mom came over yesterday, and we forced Ellie to go three hours between feedings.
Then my mom left. And I was really, really scared. Brian is out of town, so I was all on my own with Angry Starving Baby. I made her wait the three hours, though. Then I gave her a bath before feeding her. She ate for half an hour, and passed out, so I put her in her crib, cracked open a beer, and called my mom to tell her that I was convinced she had actual magical powers, because, hooray, she's sleeping!
Then I hung up the phone, and she woke up.
Dammit!
I do think it's helped, though. She slept a bit better last night. There were no 7-hour stretches or anything, but she did go four hours straight, which was refreshing.
Napping during the day is still something she apparently hates. She's obviously tired, but she fights sleep. I took her to the grocery store this morning and she fell asleep on and off while we were there, then slept a bit in the car on the way home, ate, and was wide awake. I put her in her swing. Still wide awake. And kind of angry. Finally I just ran the vacuum in the hopes the white noise would lull her to sleep.
SUCCESS.
And then I stuck a really loud fan right next to her head (not blowing on her, of course), to keep the nap going when I was done cleaning. So far so good. She might even sleep through her next feeding at 3:30.
Oh, who am I kidding? She'll probably wake up as soon as I post this. Because she can read. Or is telepathic. Or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I always atributed non stop eating bursts to a growth spurt. But if I remember correctly it usually came with a really long sleep time. When they woke up their pajama's didn't fit them anymore. Of course it's every childs mission to make a liar out of you, you eventually get used to it. E
Ok... might be something you are already doing... but do you swaddle her nice and tight when you put her down? I did not fully embrace the swaddling until Andrew was about 6 weeks old. But now my sister and I swear by it! I do not use the "special wraps" they make - I use a receiving blanket that does not stretch - so baby cannot move! That was KEY to my sleeping success!
Good Luck - and happy napping!
Post a Comment