Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So I started this post on New Years Eve....

.....and it was originally titled "Christmas....a/k/a The Day My Family Pretends Everything is Fine."

There is drama. Drama that doesn't affect me directly, but affects people very close to me and makes me sad. Drama I'm not at liberty to write about, but that has caused such things as The Great Hissy Fit of 2010, wherein I, an almost 29 year old woman, scream at my dad via telephone because I wasn't adult enough to tell him what he was doing bothered me when it started several months ago, among other events.

So far, for my little family of three, it's been a great year. Ellie's first Christmas was a pretty good time. We had a nice time at my grandparents' on Christmas Eve, and, as always, I stuffed myself full of as much prime rib and hollandaise sauce as my stomach would allow. Christmas Day was also really nice. Breakfast at mom and dad's and dinner at my mother-in-law's house. Here are a few pictures:




Ellie and my grandpa.
Ellie and Aunt Nikki.
Oh, yeah, so I'm brunette now.

Ellie and my parents.



Ellie and Aunt Steph.


"OMG, Mom, Christmas is SWEEEEEEET! We should do this every day!






And a few randoms:

Modeling my new hat. I am full of The Cute.

Sleepy. But only if I'm being held. If not being held, I'm full of The Angry.

Other recent events:

* I started doing P90X. Holy sore muscles, Batman. I can barely move. But I need to do it, because my work clothes are still snug, and I don't want to buy all new ones. I have about 8 pounds to go to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Then I have another 20 to go to get to my not-a-fatass weight.

* Brian started grad school. My husband is full of The Smart.

* Lots of smiling from the super-cute baby pictured above.

* Lots of sleeping through the night from said super-cute baby.

* Just last night: Super-cute baby soothed herself to sleep. Brian swaddled her, put her in her crib, gave her her pacifier and walked out. She laid there for a while just looking around, then fell asleep. Awesome, you say? You should be elated, you say? Yes. Yes, I should. My reaction, however, was OH MY GOD, SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH HER, GO CHECK TO SEE THAT SHE'S BREATHING AND THAT SOMEONE DIDN'T REPLACE MY BABY WITH AN ALIEN!!!!!!!!!!! Because, uh, my baby doesn't soothe herself to sleep. She's a good sleeper, but she needs to be rocked to get to sleep.

* Napping during the day without being held: Rejected, with extreme prejudice. I've started playing music for her at naptime to try to give her some kind of naptime routine. Yesterday went relatively well. She slept in her vibrating chair twice. I'm hoping today goes just as well, if no better, otherwise my daycare provider will go insane, I'm sure.

* Two-month checkup and shots. She cried. I cried. It was generally unpleasant for everyone involved. Stats: 12 lbs, 13 oz., 22 1/2 inches long (I think?). 50th percentile in length....90th percentile in weight. Can fit in six-month clothes. Chunky. Head in the 25th percentile. No giant Jack-o-lantern Kilby head for Ellie!

* A mild freakout by me regarding going back to work next week. I don't know how I'm going to do it. Going from spending 24 hours a day with my baby to maybe three is going to be insanely hard.


4 comments:

Just Me said...

Oh, wow. Back to work so soon? It's so unfair!

LOVE the chunky baby pics. Ellie is so beautiful! I don't know which I liked better, the big flower headband or the striped tights on her chubby legs. I love me some fat baby legs. I can't get enough of C's.

I hate holding her still for vaccines, too. I feel like an evil accomplice to her misery. C gets her one-year checkup on 2/14. ONE YEAR!!!!!

Every family has its share of drama, and it always bubbles to the surface during holiday gatherings. I don't know why that is. The important thing is that you and Brian had a lovely first Christmas with Ellie.

Unknown said...

I'm not gonna sugar coat it... going back to work will be hard, really really hard... advice? hell what do I know? I ended up quitting and staying home full time so if that isn't an option don't listen to me. Take lots of pics with you and expect to cry for a week or two... atleast. Try to limit yourself to one phone call to check up on her during the day, that way you can have reassurance but not go over board... your provider will understand. And expect that she may start cluster feeding at night (well isn't she already kinda doing that anyway?) and that is totally normal, annoying and physically exhausting, but normal. Oh, and pumping sucks, it is sooo boring so make sure you get a hands free kit and either bring magazines or get some work done during. Good luck chica!

Kerri said...

First of all, I will not go insane, nor will I "banish" Ellie from my house!! ;) Remember, she and I had that talk and we came to an understanding about the whole naptime thing. And if there's anything I can do to make it easier on you when you go back to work, let me know, too! I can't wait to hang out with Miss Ellie...maybe it will keep my baby fever at bay just a little bit longer!

Jennifer Terrero said...

She's adorable and getting so big!!! LOVE your new hair color.. you look fabulous!