Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas, new words, and the day I learned my baby is an iguana

Iguanas are the ones you have to stick in the tub once a week or something so they'll poop, right?  I know there's some reptile for which that's a necessity.  Now I don't really think I need to tell the story.  But it's happened twice.  TWICE.  And the second time was WAAAAYYYYY WORSE.   Anyway...........
 
Christmas was wonderful.  Ellie didn't really get it, but she liked unwrapping her presents and playing with her cousins.  On Christmas Eve we always go to my grandparents' house, as we have for 30 years, minimum, and open gifts, spend the evening gorging on prime rib, and pretending like EVERYTHING IS FINE, LALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  At one point, while she was unwrapping gifts and playing with them all excited and whatnot, I started to cry.  I just got overwhelmed with the memory of feeling like I'd never, ever get to watch my child open presents at my grandparents' house, either because I'd never have a child, or because by the time I did, my grandparents would be gone.  Cue waterworks.  Of course, no one saw me; I got it under control fairly quickly, because, ya know, I wouldn't want to show emotion.  Or talk about my feeeeeeeelings.
 
Ellie was ridiculously spoiled by my grandparents that night.  Gifts included a stuffed panda whose heart beats when you hold him close, and who also chews on a stalk of bamboo when you hold it to his mouth (well, he makes chewing noises, but whatever), and when you push on his belly he (or she.  it could be a she.  I don't think they put gender identifiers on toy pandas) makes what I assume is a panda sound, but what actually sounds like a shrieking banchee from hell.  She, of course, loves it.  Also, a donkey rocking horse (rocking donkey?) (donkeyhorse rocker?).  It's incredibly soft, and she thinks it's amazing.
 
The fact that we were even able to having the festivities at my grandparents' house was a miracle in and of itself, considering we got roughly a bagillion (or maybe 8, I don't remember) inches of snow between the 23rd and 24th of December.  I didn't realize Iowa was in the Arctic, did you?
 
Also, keeping a 1 year old out until 11 p.m., even if she is given a truckload of presents, is not recommended.  Just heed my warning and don't try it yourselves.  TRUST.
 
Christmas Day was great, too. My parents came over to our house, so we didn't have to leave, which was awesome.  They brought their gifts for Ellie (usually we do this at their house w/the whole family, but my sister didn't have her kids Christmas morning as they were with their dad, so we just did this and EVERYTHING WAS FINE!!!! LALALALALA!!!!).  It took my dad three trips from the car to get everything.  I don't even know where they put it all.  They have a flipping Nissan four-door sedan.  They apparently have converted it into a clown car without my knowledge. 
 
They gave Ellie another full truckload of gifts, including a little rocking chair.  She will. not. get. out. of. it.  Thanks, Mom!  She'd sleep, eat, bathe, and brush her teeth in that thing if we let her.  Brian's home with her this week, and said every once in a while he doesn't hear any noise from her, so he walks into her room and there she is, a'rockin' away.  Hysterical.
 
Oh, and Santa did pretty well for her, too.  That tickle-me-Elmo that falls over and laughs and laughs his creepy Elmo laugh was a huge hit at the babysitter, so Santa brought that (also an Elmo chair that talks and an Elmo phone.....Elmo basicaly puked up more Elmo in our living room).  I guess at daycare it's hysterical but at home it's SCARY OMG SCARY WHAT THE HELL GET IT AWAY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It took a good six hours for her to warm up to it, but now she thinks it's hilarious. 
Oh, pictures?  You want to see pictures?  WELL, TOO BAD.  Because, awesome parents that we are, we did not bring our camera on Christmas Eve.  We do have Christmas Day pictures, and pictures from the following day at my mother-in-law's house, then later with my father-in-law, et al, but they're not on this computer.  Blogger fail.  Sorry.  I'll get them for you ASAP (read: next month sometime). 
 
Words Ellie says:
 
"Quack"
"eeh eeh" (that's what a monkey says, and it's totally a word. I suggest you don't argue that point with me)
"Go!"
"There" (as she stacks books up one at a time on your lap or puts laundry in a drawer)
"Uh-oh!" (reserved for when she accidentallyonpurpose drops her food and/or sippy cup on the floor)
"Duck"
"Owie"
"Coldcoldcoldcoldcold (when we take her outside.  And she's right, it is fucking coldcoldcoldcoldcold)
 "tickle tickle"
"Hi, Daddy!" or "Hi, Elmo!" or "Hi, Dorty!" (Dorothy, Elmo's pet goldfish) or "Hi, Papa!" And one time, a long, long time ago, and never again since, "Hi, Mama!" 
And, last but not least, a word that sounds like "cookie" but that I think is both "cookie" or "Cortney," depending on context.  How much trouble am I in if she's already calling me by my first name?
 
Also, lots of clapping for herself, especially after putting her dirty laundry in the hamper, blowing kisses, trying to brush her own hair, trying to put on her socks and shoes by just placing them on the top of her foot, and dancing.  OMG, the dancing.  Full body movement with arms a'swingin' and some clapping.  It's hilarious, to say the least.  I have videos.  Also, shockingly, not on this computer. 

 

No comments: