I've asked. And asked, and asked, and asked. And, until last week, no one responded. Oh, sure, they acknowledged my request. They threw addictive pain medication at the problem without giving me any sort of real solution that would actually stop the need for said medication. Then they turned their backs on me when I needed them the most. When I needed answers and help and hope.
The pain clinic did not do any of the above. They acknowledged my pain, not just my request for help. They said, "We are going to help you."
And they did. They put me on Neurontin (gabapentin is the generic). It's actually an anti-seizure medication, but it's been known to calm the neves associated with severe abdominal pain. The doctor was very upfront with me, saying that abdominal pain is the hardest to treat. But he also said we are not without options, and not to get discouraged.
The Neurontin has helped a lot. Not only with the abdominal pain, but also with the fibromyalgia pain I was having. I don't think I actually realized the amount of pain I was in 24/7 until it was gone most of the time. It comes back from time to time when the medication wears off or I'm having a bad day, but I have had moments -- even hours in a row -- when I'm pain free. I've even had entire days go by when I don't have a headache.
I'm not sure I've ever experienced that before. It's kinda nice.
And by "kinda nice" I mean OMGSOFUCKINGNICE.
The doctor also wants me to do physical therapy for the fibromyalgia (again w/the PT), but he said it's a challenge, since every time my heart rate gets up, my endo pain gets worse, so working out is more challenging than before. I haven't made that appointment yet, but I'm going to this week. He also wants to put me on a TENS unit, which I can use anywhere I might be having pain.
I had actually started to worry that maybe I had become addicted to the Vicodin. That I was taking it for the high and not for the pain relief. But I haven't had a single dose for over a week. Turns out, when I'm not in excruciating pain, I don't really need or want the narcotics. Go fucking figure.
I may rent billboard space just to say "I told you so" to as many of my doctors as I can at one time. Might also add, "Thanks for treating me like a drug addict instead of helping me! *Kisses*"
Ya know, just for emphasis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment