My good friend Heather has, for the last 37 weeks, but my one ray of hope in this whole infertility struggle. Heather and her husband started trying to get pregnant six months after Brian and I started trying. Together, Heather and I shared the infertility struggle. We laughed, we cried, we drank a little -- okay, we drank A LOT -- and 37 weeks ago she called me to tell me she was finally pregnant. I broke down into tears.
These were not the tears that I normally shed when people tell me they're pregnant. Though I'm always happy for anyone who gets pregnant, a lot of times I cry because I'm just reminded every time of how long it's been that we've been trying, and I'm jealous. These tears were different. I bawled my eyes out because I was just so relieved that she was pregnant. In fact, about two weeks before that I had said to my sister, "I hope Heather gets pregnant before me, because I don't want to have to tell her that I'm pregnant. She really deserves a baby."
I was relieved, I was ecstatic, and she became my hope. My one ray of shining light in this dark journey that told me that it could still happen. That against all odds, she had gotten pregnant, and I could too.
Last night, April 22nd, 2008, at 10:51 p.m., my wonderful friend Heather gave birth to Amelia Rae via c-section. She was 7 pounds 15 ounces, and 20 inches long, and though I have yet to meet her, I'm sure she's as beautiful as her mommy. I'm so happy for their family.
Amelia is now my second ray of hope. My own little savior, seemingly sent to let me know that this WILL happen eventually. I can't wait to meet her and watch her grow (and spoil her to death).
Heather sent out a text message at 1:26 this morning to let us know Mia was here. I shot up in bed, as did Brian (and neither of us minded one bit). I took a look at Heather's MySpace page today, and four or five or our mutual friends posted something along the lines of "I shot straight up in bed," so now all I can picture are all of us simultaneously sitting straight up in bed early this morning. Hilarious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I didn't sit bolt upright, but that's because I'm used to those late night text messages from my dear husband who used to be on 3rd shift...but I WAS so excited once I read it that I coherently texted back & poked my husband to tell him the news! I cannot WAIT to meet baby Mia, too...
Keep believing that your dreams will come true, Cort...keep hope!
Cort~
I love you!! It has been such a journey for the both of us and I can't wait until the day when I get to shoot up in bed and read the message that your little one has arrived. It will be such an amazing feeling. Thank you for being such an amazing friend!
Post a Comment