*A few weeks ago I had a major meltdown at work. Ellie hadn't been moving as much as usual. It wasn't that she wasn't moving, it was just that her patterns had changed. Her movements weren't as strong or as frequent as they had been. I called the doctor's office, spoke to the nurse, who said everything was fine as long as she was moving some, but to keep an eye on things and to call back if I felt I needed to be seen. That was Monday. On Friday I had REALLY started to freak out. Her movements had become less and less frequent throughout the week. I called the doctor's office again, and got a different nurse, I think, because this one was even more casual and blase about my concerns. She said they could see me on Monday, but not Friday because it was 11 and they were leaving at noon (I was in Clinton, and couldn't get there before noon). I said okay, then proceeded to freak out more, wondering if I should just leave work and go to the hospital. The day was slow, and I wasn't really needed much, so I went in to talk to my boss about it. I was half in tears, and he interrupted me about halfway through and said something to the effect of, "If you think there's something wrong with your baby, I don't know why you're still here." My response, through my blubbering, was, "I didn't want to leave you without a court reporter." To which he responded, "That's just today, and that baby is the rest of your life. You need to leave." I started to object, and he just said, "BYE!" and waved me out the door.
I don't care what anyone says about my boss, I think he's wonderful and very understanding.
So I headed to Genesis in Davenport. They treated me fairly nice, but I kind of got the stink eye from the nurse in L&D when she asked, "When was the last time you felt the baby move?" And I told her on the way there (commence stink eye). Then I explained that "But her patterns have totally changed!" and "I'm not insane!" and "I don't even want an ultrasound like those other crazy people who are in here every-other day!" and "But, for realz!" So, mid-stink eye, she hooked me up to the monitors. I had two on my belly. What did my sweet, unborn Eliza do? Started kicking the monitors. Like crazy. The whole time.
Mission to make Mommy look like a complete nutcase: ACCOMPLISHED.
Attitude. My baby has it. We are in trouble.
So after about 20 minutes all hooked up, the nurse then gave me discharge instructions. Guess what they said? No, seriously, guess.
"If you notice a significant decrease in fetal movement, please call your doctor or come to the emergency room immediately."
They omitted the "so we can give you the stink eye" part. Convenient.
I almost screamed at her, "BUT THAT'S WHAT I DID!!! LIKE A GOOD MOM!! I LISTENED AND PAID ATTENTION AND ALL THAT SHIT!!!"
I didn't, though. I bit my tongue. Aren't you all so very proud of me?
*Last weekend we had our 10-year high school reunion, which was way more fun that I even expected it to be. Below are a few pictures from said reunion.


I wore a pencil skirt and three-inch heels for the entire night. We were out until 1 a.m., which is roughly 9 hours past my bedtime.....or something. I had a blast, but my feet did not. I'm fairly sure if they had the ability to detach themselves and run away, and possibly some sort of state agency for the protection of feet to complain to (DPS, Department of Podiatry Services, perhaps?), they would have. At the end of the night I essentially limped back to the car. It was totally worth it, though. I probably felt WAY cuter than I looked, but that's totally fine. I got compliments all night. I told Brian, "We need to do this every year, because everyone keeps telling me how cute I am." When guys I haven't seen in 10 years walk up to me and tell me I'm a sexy pregnant woman, that pretty much makes my day. Seriously. Even if it is total bullshit. It was an ego boost I severely needed (and that I don't actually need every year, because I generally feel fairly good about myself. Maybe we just need a reunion every time I'm pregnant).
But really, it was a blast. We saw so many people we hadn't kept in touch with, and had a great time catching up with everyone.
* Speaking of compliments, or lack thereof, what is the deal with people throwing out all rules of etiquette when it comes to pregnant women? Just because I'm actively gestating, that does not give you license to walk up to me and ask or say things such as the following:
"Wow, you're getting fat!"
"How many cup sizes have you gone up?"
"How much weight have you gained?" (unless you are my doctor)
"Do you and Brian still have sex? Is it awkward?"
Or really any variation on those. Basically, if you wouldn't ask me the question or say it to me when I'm not making a person, don't ask me when I am. It's pretty simple, really. I can't imagine what possesses people to look at a pregnant woman and say, "Ooh, she's clearly pregnant, and therefore probably extra-hormonal and sensitive about the changes in her body, so I'm going to go over and point out how enormous she is and ask completely intrusive questions. It'll be fun! She probably won't cry! And if she does, I don't care, because the fact that she's hormonal and possibly unreasonable negates the fact that I just hurt her feelings! Yay!"
Douchebags.
*As of today, I'm officially in the third trimeester (according to that creepy ticker thing with the floating baby at the top of my blog). Also, we are down to double-digits as far as days left before my due date. 91 days, to be exact. That is......fucking scary....yes, I think that's the best way to put it. Fucking scary. At first, this pregnancy was dragging on by, and now it seems to be flying by while I stand here all, "What? I'm going to have a baby? Like, soon? And I'll be responsible for it staying alive and stuff? And it's going to, like, cry and poop and be up at all hours of the night? Holy crap!"
Don't get me wrong, we're thrilled and totally excited. It's just that reality is setting in a bit here, and the enormous responsibility we're about to take on is becoming very clear.
*I'm seriously considering making my own baby food, and starting fairly soon so I can freeze it for next year. I have to do some more research, but all things point to "making baby food is super easy, and if you can't figure it out you're a moron."
I'll keep you posted.


6 comments:
I have a few books on making baby food if you want to borrow them. I intended to do that as well but Mikey didnt like anything that he didnt have to chew!!
you forgot to tell all of them you have officially turned into your mother! you know worry wart, over-protective, ect.. I know, hard to admit love you mom
Your classmates weren't just being nice. You really do look terrific!
ROFLMAO on the intrusive questions section. It's deadly accurate, right up to the "so what if I make her cry, she's hormonal anyway" section.
Have strangers and/or distant acquaintances reached out and touched your belly yet? GAWD I hated that! I wanted to bend their thumbs backward!
Wheee! Your third trimester! Yeah, it's coming up like a freight train, but I promise you'll be all right. If you actually run into something you don't know how to handle (doubt it!), you have plenty of family to share their advice.
I hope you're feeling good. I'm so excited!
Random people I don't see very often at work keep touching me. The people who I don't mind touching my belly, like my close friends and family, always ask first, even though they don't have to. In fact, I just had this discussion with my friend Annette last night about random touching, and that those are the same people who will have their hands all over my kid when she comes. Ew.
I must have been the one with the attitude, nobody touched me without asking.
Oh and get used to it, it's a preview for what's to come. Your kids will embarrass you in ways that you never thought possible. E
Baby food is super easy to make - I never even used a recipe. Just bake(or cook) sweet potatoes/ squash/peas/green beans or whatever until they are really soft. Then scoop the stuff into a blender and mix in formula or breastmilk until is looks like a good consistency! Then freeze it in ice cube trays or mini tuperware. Once the trays are frozen you can dump the cubes into ziplocks for more compact storage in the freezer. You can do it!
Post a Comment