........passed away, which was really, really sad, And then a few days later my father-in-law was in the hospital. It's just pneumonia, but they checked him for TB because he had it as a child, so there were a few tense hours waiting for the results of that.
So, in my effort to pretend like nothing's going on and EVERYTHING'S FINE, I thought I'd do a product review post. I'm a product whore. Hair products, skin-care products, lotion, body wash, makeup, you name it. In the last year I've stumbled upon several products and a couple of websites that are fantastic, and I'd like to share the love.
**Note that most of the product names are clicky links to said products. I know, I know, I'm so helpful!
I have awful, super-oily, acne-prone skin (fucking PCOS). Also see "sensitive" and "pasty." I finally decided that using drugstore brands was a waste of time, and, quite frankly, money, because I ended up buying so many trying to find one that worked.
Thanks so makeupally and Sepora, I discoveredPeter Thomas Roth products. Um, AWESOME. I started with their Acne Treatment Kit.
I was so impressed with the results I got. My skin cleared up completely, and it looked so much healthier and younger. If you don't have super-oily skin like me, this might be a bit drying. Also, the acne spot treatment is a miracle in a tube, but it smells TERRIBLE. It's sulfur-based, so you can't expect it to smell good, and for what it does for my skin, I don't care what it smells like. The only other complaint I have with it is that if you apply it and don't let it dry for a while without applying lotion or anything over top of it, it tends to kind of roll off. Not a huge problem, though.
I did decide that I didn't need the WHOLE kit, though. I didn't like the mattifying gel (I have a recommendation for that, too, though. Don't worry), and the Acne Clearing Gel was a bit overkill and started drying out my skin. So when I reordered, I got the acne spot treatment, and some different items that were very similar, and that I LOVE:
When I ran out of the blemish buffing beads, I searched around for the best price to re-order that product. I found this product at The Skin Store (not a porn site. I realize it sounds like one). And instead of buying the above product, I bought something REALLY similar:
This is pretty much exactly the same as the blemish buffing beads, but you get 10 oz more for $14 less. Don't ask me why. I'm using this on my body and face right now, and hoping I continue to get the same results.
For a daytime moisturizer, I really loved the one that came in the Acne Treatment Kit. But when I reordered, I found this:
It's also fantastic. It evens out my skin tone and makes my skin look so flawless. I can't believe the difference. I don't have to wear foundation, which is great, because I have yet to find a foundation that works well for me. I just use this, let it dry for a few minutes, then do concealer, mattifying powder, and the rest of my makeup routine.
I use Oil of Olay nighttime cream on my face at night. I don't remember exactly which one it is, but it's cheap and it makes my skin really soft. I've also used Oil of Olay's microdermabrasion kit, and it's fantastic.
When the weather starts getting more humid and hot, I will probably have to add more products, such as the acne treatment gel in the kit. I get uber oily in summer. I'll keep you updated (if you want) on that.
I have an oily scalp, so I have to wash my hair at least every-other day, preferably every day. I also color my hair a lot, and, since having Ellie, my ends are really damaged, which is something I've never had to deal with before.
This line smells fantastic. So different than what you may be used to hair products smelling like. I've read reviews describing it as a dryer sheet smell, but I don't think it smells anything like laundry. It's just a really nice, subtle fresh scent. I use the shampoo; miracle repair treatment, which is a conditioner, but can also be used as a mask if you apply it and leave it on for 10 minutes or so in the shower; the blowout miracle repair blowdry serum; and the miracle repair flat iron spray.
The shampoo and conditioner make my hair so soft, and the miracle repair treatment (conditioner) repairs my damaged ends and preserves my color.
The blowout blowdry serum is another miracle in a bottle. It claims to improve brush glide and tensile strength, and it sure delivers on that claim. It makes round-brushing my hair every morning so much easier. The brush just slides right through and my hair comes out shiny and smooth. Apply only to the shaft of your hair and ends, not the scalp. A little goes a long way.
The flat iron spray is something I added since my ends became so damaged. I flat iron my ends, and this stuff really helps the flat iron be more effective and makes my hair really shiny.
I use this as well in the winter months, because my ends get even more dry. Again, apply only to the ends of hair, not the scalp.
I purchase my Brocato products at several different places, depending on where I can get the best price. I just ordered a bunch from Extended Lengths. Their prices were really great, even adding in shipping, compared to what I pay at Trade Secret, for example.
Again, this is something I've added since my ends have become so damaged. I buy it from my hairdresser, but I'm sure if you search the Internet, you'll find it out there. It smells fantastic, and really seems to work.
I've also used the BC Bonacure shampoos and conditioners years ago, and they're great, too.
I generally don't pay much for makeup. I think drugstore brands are just fine for most things, but for eyeshadow I've become addicted to this:
I love cream shadow. To put it in other words: I hate powder shadows with an intensity I normally save for superfluous apostrophes and incorrect usage of "there," "their" and "they're." Powders are messy, and I find they don't stay on very long. However, cream shadows can be tricky, as well. some rub right off because they're too greasy, and I really dislike the kind that come in tubes that you have to apply with your finger, because that's just more crap on my hands.
I've found several different drugstore brands of cream shadow that I loved, only to have them be discontinued, which is frustrating. I found this at a local department store, and it's great. I apply one thin layer at a time, letting it dry in between, until I get the look I want. I then let it dry for a minute or two before applying eye liner and mascara, just so I don't smudge it. It stays on all day and the colors are beautiful.
I really love all the Physician's Formula products. They're gentle and the colors are great.
I love Aveeno's baby products, specifically, the Soothing Relief Creamy Wash. I use it on Ellie, and on myself. I've also used the Baby Calming Comfort Bath on Ellie, and it works great, but it's a bit on the perfumy side for my taste. Elli, Brian and I all have very sensitive skin, which is why I really like the Creamy Wash. It's gentle and moisturizing.
I also really like the Essential Moisture baby shampoo. Ellie's got some major cradle cap going on, so I only wash her hair twice a week, but this stuff doesn't seem to make it worse. It also smells really nice.
Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream is also a really nice product. It's thick and very moisturizing. I find that, on me, it tends to kind of roll off if I don't let it dry all the way before rubbing my skin, but for Ellie it works great.
You might remember Ellie had a terrible diaper rash a few weeks back. This is absolutely the only thing that helped it, and I continue to apply it to her little baby bum daily. It's got 40% Zinc, which is the highest zinc content I've found, and it just works great. Smells weird, is messy, but when your child is suffering with terrible diaper rash, you won't care.
I've also tried Boudreaux's Butt Paste, but it didn't help her rash. I was putting it on her at night before bed, and for a while it seemed to at least prevent diaper rash, but, at only 16% Zinc, it's just not as effective.
So that's all the stuff I'm really loyal to brand-wise. I try different mascaras all the time, and have yet to find one that I'm just crazy about. Same goes with eyelash curlers. I think everyone should own an eyelash curler, though. It really opens up your eyes, making them look bigger and making you look more awake.
If you've got products you love, leave them in the comments! I love hearing what others are using and why they love them.


2 comments:
I'm sorry about your FIL's wife, and I hope your FIL is healthy.
Thank you for the tips on Aveeno!
And don'tcha just hate cradle "crap"? It's annoying but it will pass in a few weeks. Well, it did for my kids, but they seem to have my dry Irish skin.
For the kids cradle crap (as Maddie calls it) I also like the Arbonne Baby Shampoo and Body Wash. It is fragrance free so it is much less drying to their little scalps. It was $16 a bottle and I used it on each until age 2 and only had to buy 2 bottles. It lasts forever.
Post a Comment