Lately, however, I've been less than busy. And by that I mean I sit for roughly seven hours a day ensuring the seat of my chair stays nice and toasty warm. And that's on a busy day.
On top of the fact that I sit for most days doing practically nothing, I usually drive 45 minutes to work every day. So I get up around 6, feed Ellie and get her dressed, then spend 10 hours a day away from her, doing -- say it with me, folks -- ALMOST NOTHING.
If you live in Iowa right now, you should be really, really proud of where your tax dollars are going. To make you feel better, this is not the same pattern all court reporters in the state enjoy. Most judges are busy, busy, busy, and, thus, their reporters are also, at least most of the time.
Being an official reporter is a great career opportunity, and one that I really probably shouldn't give up. The jobs are difficult to get, mostly because they don't come open often.
But, all those factors taken into account, I'm seriously -- very seriously -- considering going back to freelancing. I'm out of my noncompete agreement, so I can go out on my own. Brian and I did a bit of math, and figured out that I can work roughly 15 hours a week, and that's with editing time, not 15 hours of depos a week, and make what I make right now. Seems like a no-brainer, yes?
That's a best-case scenario situation. Freelancing is feast or famine. You almost never get a steady stream of work. You're either swamped and barely have time to sleep, or you're wondering if you'll ever work again. You don't know when you'll get paid, although, I know most of the attorneys in town, and all of them pay in a fairly timely manner. You have to make sure you put aside money to pay your quarterly estimate taxes, since you're an independent contractor. And, the worst, part, no more free insurance. We'd end up paying for ours out of pocket from Brian's employer, at a cost of $500 to $600 per month.
Still, it's tempting. I'd get more time with Ellie. I'd have a more flexible schedule, and it would be up to me when I took jobs and who I worked with. I'd get to take Ellie to my grandparents' pool in the summer, and keep her home on icy, snowy days in the winter. I'd also save money on daycare expenses (we love our daycare provider, though. I don't want to make it seem as if we don't. She loves Ellie, and Ellie loves her).
I know what I should do. My gut tells me I should be freelancing, but I'm scared. I know my boss (the judge) is going to give me the look he gives people when he feels they're making a big mistake. He's going to remind me that he's only going to be on the bench for two more years, and he needs me because I provide realtime translation for him. And, though he might not say it, I'm going to feel insanely guilty because I applied for the job, got it, and almost immediately got pregnant, took three months off for maternity leave, and have only been back for five months and I'm going to quit.
But none of that matters to me. At least not as much as the time with my baby does. When I make those arguments, and then think about the fact that I can never, ever get these years back, but I could always keep an eye on the courthouse and apply as soon as a position comes open, it is so clear what I should do.
But I need someone else to tell me. Point out the flaws in my logic (especially you court reporters!). Make me make sure I'm thinking of it from all angles so I don't do something rash.
We're going to be doing more calculations this weekend to make sure it makes sense. Then it's just a matter of my growing a pair and telling my boss I'm leaving. We'll see how that goes.


3 comments:
YOU were and still are worth all that I have. What I had back then was to give you all of me! Time with you was worth ALL , all the money you give up, all the ins benefits you give up, all adult time spent with friends, All was worth seeing you smile at me every morning and just being with you every moment! I miss those days and Im crying right now remembering, I dont regret at all going part-time yes I was alittle afraid because I-we couldnt give you everything material but I was blessed to be with you everyday!! You couldnt pay me a million dollars to take those everyday memories from me! I love you MOM
As a court reporter, freelance, who is majorly suffering right now, I'd never give up a job with a paycheck, although I understand your reasons completely. That being said, make sure you thoroughly investigate the local market before you do this. Many areas of the country are extremely slow right now. Good luck! You'll know the right answer.
I'm chiming in late because I've neglected blogging.
This freelancer's been in an extended, major-league deposition drought. It sucks, but I'm still SO HAPPY to be with Her Nibs for most of every day. I look at her, and my worries just melt away.
Money's been BAD around here, I admit. To pick up the slack, I applied for and was just hired to work 11-7 shift full-time at a convenience store. It's not what I want to do for a living, but with some major career changes on the horizon for The Oracle and my frustration with my sporadic income, it seemed like the best solution. The steady paycheck, health insurance in 60 days, and no day-care expenses make it all feel like a win-win situation. I haven't been sleeping anyway, so I might as well do something constructive.
Post a Comment