An update on the water heater situation. I spent yesterday on the phone trying to get some resolution from Whirlpool. They suck, and that's an understatement. Their customer service people are rude, and they refuse to offer an appropriate solution to the fact that I've bought two of their water heaters since April, and both have failed. They're sending a repairman today, sometime between 8 and 5. Great. So basically, I can do nothing outside the house today until this guy shows up. At least it's free, and hopefully I'll have hot water by the end of the day.
A warning: Do NOT buy a Whirlpool Flame-Lock water heater. I did a lot of research, and they all have this exact same problem, they all fail, and there has actually been a class-action lawsuit involving them (I didn't read exactly what kind of damages were sued for, but still). In fact, I'd avoid Whirlpool in general, because even with a nine-year warranty and even after telling them that TWO of their water heaters have failed, neither lasting more than four months, much less YEARS, they refuse to replace this one.
I also called Lowe's yesterday and spoke to the manager, Jeff. Jeff is my new favorite person. He called me back today and told me he and his staff spent all day yesterday trying to work out this problem for me, and stated, "I now understand your frustration much more," in reference to the run-around he was getting from Whirlpool. He said they refuse to give him a return authorization and told him they want to try to fix it. Then he said that if this water heater fails again, he guarantees he will replace it for me, and he will fight with Whirlpool for me, he won't make me do it. He said that if it breaks again, he has "every leg to stand on to do that." He was extremely helpful, and made me feel so much better. At least I know when this piece of junk fails again -- which I'm sure it will -- he will get me a new water heater.
So if you want to shop for anything home-improvement related, visit Lowe's on Elmore Avenue in Davenport, Iowa. Jeff is a fantastic manager, and great to work with, very accommodating. I can't say enough nice things.
Okay, I have to get back to work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I also had a similar manager experience at Dick's sporting goods. When our tredmill was being rediculous and the people with the third party warranty initially seemed to be helpful, but then told me that they were not going to cover it because (1) we keep it in the basement which apparently voids the warranty (2) I had it plugged into the same outlet as the tv we watched whilest on said treadmill. (Apparently I was incorrect - after mentioning this to the person on the phone, it turns out the tv was plugged into a different outlet.) So I called and talked to the chap who sold it to us and he had one more in the backroom (which is weird because we bought the floor model) and he'd exchange it for us. So like a month and a half later we finally did the exchange and they held on the the treadmill the whole time and by that time the guy who had told me he would exchange it didn't work there anymore and the manager just took our word on what was going on. I don't even think they asked to see my reciept. (btw the word verification for posting this is: orgie...orgy? Are you serious google?)
Post a Comment