Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An explanation

I read a blog today that made me realize I may owe all of you an explanation for my current attitude. If you want to read the blog that inspired this post, go HERE.

Her latest post made me realize that my lack of enthusiasm for all things baby and pregnancy may be confusing to most people. I think the expected reaction from me was to see me jumping up and down, loving every single symptom, picking out nursery bedding and posting it here, and posting every single ultrasound picture ever taken. And I haven't done any of that. At least not all out in public.

To clear a few things up, I find ultrasound pictures ULTRA-boring. I find it beyond annoying when someone shows you a picture of their unborn child at around, say, 7 weeks, and says, "Isn't it the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?!" Um......No. Sorry. I didn't even think MY child at 7 weeks was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. I thought it looked like a blob, and that's when I finally figured out which blob I was supposed to be looking at. Ultrasound pictures aren't exactly clear-cut that early. Two weeks later, I thought it looked like a hamster, and I honestly don't want to see another ultrasound picture until it actually looks like a PERSON, because the hamster thing totally freaked me out. Now, if you choose to post pictures of your ultrasound or show them to people, more power to ya. I'm not judging others, just telling you how I feel. But you will probably never, ever see a picture of an ultrasound here on my blog, unless we decide to do the 3D one (which I'm undecided about). I will most definitely not be posting pictures of my child's gentiles, regardless of how blurry and indistinguishable they are to a layman, on the Interwebs. I think my child should be allowed to maintain some level of privacy, and I also don't want anyone referring to said gentiles as "cute." Because....ew......

I've also heard, "The heartbeat was the most beautiful sound in the world." Huh? Reassuring? Yes. Fantastic to know the Kiblet was there and healthy? Absolutely. Made me cry? A little. But beautiful? Eh. If it's beautiful to you, again, awesome, but that just wasn't the way I would describe it. That doesn't make me more or less excited than anyone else.

And just because it took me four years to get pregnant, doesn't make being pregnant any more fun. It also doesn't exclude me from complaining about it -- although I realize I complain more than the average person probably does, and for that I apologize. But if I hear, "Oh, but it's ALL worth it," from one more person, I might snap. Of course it's all worth it. But that doesn't make almost throwing up when I brush my teeth any more fun. Seriously.

Oh, and I have been looking at bedding, I just haven't found what I love, and we're actually going to end up having my cousin Joche make the crib skirt once we find out what we're having and find some fabric we like. I decided to avoid using a bumper altogether unless we have an issue with limbs getting stuck between crib rungs, and then we'll get a breathable bumper. I also don't need a quilt. So all I wanted was the skirt and sheets, and you can't pick apart sets and buy those things separately, which I find incredibly annoying. I refuse to spend $500 on a bedding set when I'm only going to use two things out of it.

We have purchased paint for the nursery (grey, and it's awesome), but haven't painted yet. Because we're a little bit lazy. We also ordered new windows for that room and are waiting for them to come in.

I have made registries already, so as not to forget the important things my sister and others were telling me they found most useful. That registry also has our crib on it. I've also been researching a bit about reusable diapers and car seats. And we have daycare all set up.

So I'm enthusiastic, I'm just not sharing every detail. I'm not gushing over socks and onesies and baby toes and blah, blah, blah.

Why?

Because after four years of infertility, it's hard for me to be too enthusiastic in public for fear that the bottom will fall out of all of this. Of course that's pessimistic. Of course I should just enjoy this time because I may only get to do it once. But that doesn't make it any easier to look past the leftover scars infertility has left on Brian and me.

Infertility steals something from those who go through it. You never get to feel a twinge or stretch or pinch without thinking, "Oh my God, here it comes. I knew this wouldn't last." When you're a member of the infertility community, you hear too many stories of stillbirths, early miscarriages, late miscarriages, children born with birth defects that can't be corrected no matter how good the neonatologist is and how hard they try, and even children who make it to four or five months and then die suddenly of SIDS. I've heard two stories of SIDS deaths in the last month, and we have friends who this happened to a few years ago.

There's the added bonus for us of knowing how quickly life can end. When Maidul died Brian and me, along with all of our friends, got a severe wake-up call about the fragility of life in general. Our strong, healthy, 27-year-old friend, who I'd never even seen with the sniffles the entire time I'd known him, died so suddenly in an accident that someone else may have walked away from. It's fucking scary.

All of this has left me paranoid (more than usual), scared, worried, TERRIFIED. And I don't know when those feelings will go away.

Of course I'm excited. Of course I've never been happier in my entire life. I can't wait to meet my baby, to hold him (we're totally convinced it's a boy), to finally figure out what his name is, to see him with my family and friends and know it's finally all over and we don't have to worry about never having children again.

But we will have to worry that our child will never have a sibling, because there's a good chance I'll never get pregnant again. We no longer have insurance coverage for infertility treatments, and the price of IVF is certainly out of range for us right now, and won't get any closer with an infant in the picture.

So, you see, for those of us who experience infertility, it never ends. It's never over. Infertility leaves gashes while you're going through it that can't be stitched, and massive scars when you've finally found your way through it that just never go away.

Infertility has also given me the gift of perspective and made me a different parent than I would have been had I never been through it. I've said it a million times that I both love and hate my infertility. The fact that I hated going through it doesn't negate the fact that I NEEDED to go through it.

So I just wanted to explain that to those who may think I'm being grumpy and unappreciative of what I've been given. I'm not, I swear. If anything, I'm the exact opposite, and knowing how close we came to never having what we have makes me appreciate things much, much more.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally know how you feel. My husband and I had to go through IVF to get pregnant also. I don't think I stopped worrying until my daughter was a few months old. I was paranoid that every little thing was going to lead to us not having our perfect child. I also know how much it sucks to hear everyone else say it will be all right. It's just something you have to come to terms with on your own.

khelsaoe said...

Great post, Cort.

Jess said...

Infertility really does never go away. After years of IF treatment, craploads of IUI's, two ivf's and a FET plus one adoption, we have two kids who are 1.5 and 2 (tomorrow!) and I'm definitely still totally neurotic.

Something that I took comfort in is that things can and do turn out alright even if you can't believe they do. They also turn to shit even if you think it'll be alright. It doesnt' matter. So if you can't bring yourself to be super!giddy!happy! don't be hard on yourself about it. I was pretty sure my son (he's the ivf, not the adoption) was going to die the whole pregnancy. I went from checking for blood because it would signal the end to checking for blood because I had had my membranes stripped and it woudl mean he was coming.

And now? Two years after becoming a mother? I'm looking at a fet and wondering what when that doesn't work, what to do because I feel like we can't justify another loan when we already have loans on the kids we have...though I always wanted a big family. It really never ends.

That said, once my kids were here and I could SEE if they were breathing, SEE if they were ok...I have been much less neurotic and worried about THEM. I still worry, sure (we lost Travis' friend and cousin when they were 18 to a car accident, so I totally feel you), but I'm mostly ok. Ish.

But also, I cherish it more. I keep up with the pictures and the baby books and the hugs...and even when I'm tired and frustrated enough to cry, I can realize that this is the thing life is all about.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Erica said...

Well put. Thanks for the shout out! :) I'm glad you were able to get something out of it. After I wrote it, my DH said he thought I was being too pessimistic. Really? REALLY?! It's not pessimism. I'm psyched. I'm just a realist too. I don't want people brushing everything in the past under the carpet - I know that not all of them do, in fact, maybe none of them do. But, I just can't be anything other than what I know how to be - and right now, that's a cautiously happy, quite cranky, pregnant girl.

What's up with the crankiness? Did you experience that too? I'm like a total bitch. People I like are getting on my nerves - in fact, mostly everyone is getting on my nerves.

Just Me said...

Excellent post.

I, for one, didn't see your complaints as being unappreciative. You're uncomfortable and queasy and packed full of hormones and your clothes don't fit. It isn't an easy place to be.

I'd never endured infertility, but I was also haunted by fear of my joy crashing into despair by way of miscarriage or stillbirth or SIDS. I think most mothers are, but it's easier for fertile moms to shove that fear into a dark corner and bury it under preparations.

As each week ticks by, I hope you become more at ease.

BTW, you're a smart cookie for skipping bumper pads and quilts. Washing bumpers is a PITA. Kryptonite doesn't move much at all, and I like being able to easily see her through the crib bars.

I did buy my kids crib-sized down comforters from The Company Store, but by that time they were over a year old and more than capable of shoving it away from their faces.

Cort said...

OMG, I'm the crankiest bitch EVA lately. I try to keep it under control, but it's insane. Everyone I know who's been pregnant has been the same way. I think it's normal.

Just Me said...

Erica:

I failed to mention that I was only slightly moody with #1, and I was too pukey to be moody with #2, but, Lordy, I was TurboBitch for #3. EVERYTHING got on my nerves, and the worst offender was my own miserable nature, if that makes sense.

A few days postpartum and I was much more myself. Still hormonal, but not so irritable.

K said...

I honestly felt like I was reading my own blog. I do not have a baby yet, my miscarriage though early on has left an indescribable fear in me to get back into the game. I keep putting off treatments, making one excuse after the other, life is in the way, school is in the way, weight is in the way, when in all reality, my broken heart is in the way. I will be moving on to IVF, soon, someday, I guess when I muster up the courage to finally say "I am not afraid to fail- again"
Infertility has this way of stripping you of feeling sexy, a million people can tell you that you're beautiful, but you never feel it, because you know your biggest flaw, it is what seperates us from those who can with ease. I struggle with this daily. I too agree that infertility has been my curse and my blessing, I know I am a better woman for it, a better future mom for it....a better ME for it..but sometimes, on bad days, when I look in the mirror all I see is INFERTILITY.
I too, lost one of our best friends, last July 4th. His life taken unexpectedly in an accident where he drowned. We all too got tattoos, your story resonates with me. I "get it". I almost once wrote to you before, and I cried so hard through the post I had to shut my computer off.

You'd think with so much loss, that life would make you giddy, make you excited, make you jump up and down with glee...but I am afraid that I am going to be just like you when my time comes.

I can't seem to sit through a baby shower...it is too painful, no matter who it is being celebrated..sometimes I think poking my eyes out with toothpicks would be less painful..I am tired of explaining WHY we don't have kids...and more so I am tired of the "look" you get when you tell them your story. God pity is such an ugly expression.
I spoke to an ex one day, he asked if we had kids, I told him no, he asked why, and stupidly I told him..he told me, "Well glad I didn't marry you, I want a boatload"
Yeah, that didn't make me feel 2 inches tall...I had a friend of mine tell me "I wouldn't feel like a woman if I couldn't have kids" I shook my manly head in disbelief..on the outside, I am far more feminine than she, but on the inside her uterus begged to differ.

So yep, I get it, and I don't judge you, in fact, I feel like I am reading my blog in the future...I do hope though, for you and for me, that we never forget the pain, but that rather we learn to live life without the pain that it leaves.

I always enjoy reading your blog, even though I am no longer a member on the site...I still check in on the women who have touched my lives in so many ways.

Just wanted you to know I know how you feel and it doesn't make you any less excited...we've just seen the world through different eyes.