A little background: Brian and I dated when we were freshmen in high school. And by "dated," I mean met at a roller skating rink, he kissed me (becoming the first boy I had ever kissed), we skated the moonlight skate together, he asked me to be his girlfriend, and then we exchanged awkward looks in the hallways at school, held hands awkwardly in front of our friends, and made out awkwardly at the movies a few times. Then he broke up with me, and I pretended to hate him for four years, and told most of the girls I was friends with that he was a terrible kisser. My statement was obviously credible, since I had absolutely nothing to compare it to.
When we were 19, we met again at a party in Iowa City. I had just broken up with a boyfriend who was less than nice to me for the last four years, and I was looking for nothing even remotely related to a relationship. We chatted for a few minutes, it was around midnight, and I went on my way, chasing after random boys for random reasons I can't remember.
On my way home from Iowa City the next day, my mom called me on my cell phone and said, "I woke up at midnight last night having a dream that you met the guy you're going to marry, and you'll be engaged in a year." Suuuuurrrreee, Mom. Please take your crazy pills and think that one over again. Needless to say, I kind of brushed it off.
Three months or so later, I met Brian again at another party in our hometown. I gave him a ride home, because he was.....tired. Yes, tired. Since he was 19, that was obviously the only explanation for his condition.
He asked me out on a date for the next night. One year, exactly, from that date, we were engaged, two years later we were married, and the rest is history.

Ah, so young. So innocent. So completely clueless as to how to do my hair.

10 years after that first date, life has changed so much, but I still count myself among the luckiest people in the world, because he chose me. That this brilliant, sweet, compassionate, hard-working, all around incredible man not only is with me, but looks at me every day like I'm the most beautiful woman he's ever seen, and like he's completely head over heels in love with me. I can never seem to figure out how I got so lucky. He balances me out, putting me in my place when I need it, and making me laugh hysterically whenever I'm sad. He finds my inherent clumsiness endearing, he can't keep his hands off me even when I'm heavier than I would like to be, and he reminds me every day what life is really all about.
Because of him, Ellie is here. If he hadn't pursued the job he currently has, we wouldn't have had the insurance coverage for our IVF teatment. That, among so many other things, is proof we're meant to be together.
He's an incredible father to her.





2 comments:
Wow, just wow. I literally cried at the end. I am still sitting here with a lump in my throat. I hope he has a wonderful first Father's day. And just as lucky as you are to have him, he is lucky to have you! I really am touched by this entry. I hope he reads it!
Beautiful!!! I was also very moved! Hope you all had a wonderful day together!
Post a Comment