He's a very wise ass

Do you remember when you were a kid, and, starting with Halloween, months of magic and wonderment and warm, squishy family time, sprinkled with all the presents you wanted and some you hadn't even though to ask for, came to pass? I miss that. I want that for Ellie. As a kid, I felt the stress of others around me, but when the holidays started, it all seemed to melt away, most likely because I was completely preoccupied with all the excitement. It's not as easy to ignore the stress when you're an adult, much as you might try. Last year, our holidays seemed fairly sad because of the tension. I was afraid that'd happen again this year, but it didn't.
It was awesome.
Ellie had a fabulous time. Everyone had a fabulous time with her. I got to make an entire meal out of stuffing and mashed potatoes, then gorge myself on pie and Snicker-Apple salad and not feel one bit guilty.....until this morning, when my pants didn't fit very well.
I took almost no pictures, at least not with my camera. Mental pictures abounded, though. Of Ellie trying mashed potatoes, immediately spitting them out (texture issues. she's high maintenance). Of my cousins, 14, 20 and almost-21, respectively, snuggling my baby the way I snuggled them 14, 20 and almost-21 years ago. Of my grandparents genuinely enjoying their day, a sight I hope to see for many years to come. Of my sister smiling, which I haven't seen in while.
So all in all, fabulous day. I hope yours was just as wonderful, even if it wasn't exactly what you expected.


No comments:
Post a Comment