Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vote, Vote, Vote!

I kind of hate politics, but they affect us all in dramatic ways, so I try to pay attention and follow what's going on.  That is, when I'm not watching Baby Einstein or trying to keep Ellie from throwing bananas and carrots off her highchair tray.  So I don't always succeed at paying attention, but I try. 
 
I'm a registered Democrat (shocking, I know).  But I think I really lean more towards moderate view points most of the time.  I don't think one extreme or the other is a good thing.  I think both sides have valid points and valid opinions about many things.  I don't think one side is completely right or completely wrong.  I think, instead of attacking people, we should calmly discuss our differing opinions.  I hate negative ads, especially those that spout completely inaccurate facts.  If you want to get me on your side, give me non-fiction, please.  I don't care what religion our president is.  Barack Obama is not Muslim, but even if he was, who cares?  All religions, at their core, are based on the whole do unto others adage.  Basically, be kind, be generous, be honest.  The radicals in any religion are offensive to me.  Besides that, our country was founded on the principle of separation of church and state, and there are many good reasons for that.  Our founding fathers came here to escape the oppression of a country and a government who required them to all worship in the same way.  America should not be run according to any religion. 
 
But even if you don't agree with me on those points, if you are an informed citizen who is of age, PLEASE VOTE.  You don't get to whine and cry about how our country is doing if you take no interest in it.  HOWEVER, if you haven't informed yourself on the key issues, if you know nothing about the candidates, if you vote based on whether someone is a Catholic or an Atheist or based on gender or skin color, please save us all the hassle and stay away from the polls.  
 
I love this quote (from here: http://rachelheldevans.com/blog), which I didn't find myself, but copied from another blogger friend:
 
But I am convinced that Christians in America can appreciate their country without worshipping it, be politically engaged without being politically consumed, and hold opinions about healthcare and the economy without insisting that God agrees. We can be civil because we know that people are infinitely more valuable than positions. We can be calm because we know that love will win in the end. We can laugh because we're neither threatened nor dazzled by power.  

I think if we all followed this ideal, or something close to it, regardless of our opinions on the specific issues, our country would run much more smoothly.  It's a lofty dream of mine, but I still hold out hope that it will be achieved some day.
 

No comments: