Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Don't hate me because my insurance rocks....

But it totally does. I had the IVF financial lady at the U of I call my insurance company just to double check that my IVF would be covered. Not only is it covered, there is no dollar limit on it. Usually, a policy will say you only have $15k of infertility coverage (or some other arbitrary number). Ours has no dollar limit, just a limit on the number of times we can try this. They'll cover up to four IVF treatments. If we have a live birth during one of those IVF treatments, they'll cover two more. I'm not totally clear on whether, if we haven't exhausted the four treatments and get pregnant, if the insurance will still cover a total of four and then the two, but right now it doesn't matter. Our insurance rocks, and they just saved us a minimum of 20k, and a maximum of 120k. Holy crap!


5 comments:

Heather said...

I just can't believe this!! What a blessing! This must be a HUGE burden lifted off your shoulders!! I just think this is amazing and there is a reason that your insurance ROCKS!!! YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

I can clarify your question about the coverage. If you were to get pregnant right now, your insurance would cover two future attempts at in vitro (and it's important to know that those are *retrievals* they cover -- as far as I know, there is no limit on *transfers*, so you get even more if you have frozen embryos).

Once you have a live birth by any means, you get two more cycles. Our first twins were technically a live birth, so we got two more cycles even though we didn't have any living children.

Your coverage really is great. It's basically coverage according to the Illinois mandate, which can be hard to find even in Illinois. :-)

~Paula

Jill said...

How wonderful - and what a blessing!

Andrea Murphy said...

That's great, Cort. I'm in Illinois and I don't have any coverage at all. Our "insurance company" isn't an insurance company, it's a "trust fund" so we get screwed ten ways from Sunday.

Wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is really phenomenal! Hope you have wonderful baby stories soon!