First, this morning I carpooled to Clinton with Linda, one of the other reporters. She gets paid mileage to go to Clinton because technically she's domiciled at the Scott County Courthouse here in D-port. I don't get paid mileage to go to Clinton because I'm technically domiciled at the Clinton County Courthouse, and that's fine. But she's very sweet and said I might as well ride with her because she's getting paid to go anyway.
So we rode up, no biggie, and as I'm sitting in my office my boss comes wandering in around noon and says, "Well, we're supposed to get some really bad weather and I don't have anything for you to do, so you might as well go home."
I said, "Ooh, great, I'll do that."
Then I remembered that I don't have a flipping car. So I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to get myself home before this storm hits. Linda couldn't take me because she had a trial today. She suggested I hitchhike because I was wearing my knee-high boots and my cute tights. She said I'd get a ride in no time :0) I decided against that, so my sweet sister came and got me. She had to load her two kids in the car to do it, and drive in the crappy weather. I was really grateful.
But of all days! I never ride with other people to work, and the day I do, I get to go home early. This is how my life works! LOL.
******************************************************
Then I got home, and the U of I called and said they wanted to reschedule my appointment tomorrow. Keeping in mind that I've already rearranged my entire schedule, and a few others' schedules, to go to this appointment tomorrow, which, with driving time, was going to take half the day. I told them that I had already rearranged everything, and they said, "Well, do you want to just go to our satellite office in Davenport."
Cue me staring dumbly at the phone in shock.
Um, YOU HAVE A FLIPPING SATELLITE OFFICE IN DAVENPORT????
I didn't say that. I just said, "YES, that would be fantastic!"
She says she'll call and see if she can get me in. About two seconds after I hung up the phone, she calls back and says, stupidly, "Wait, do you just want to do all your monitoring at the satellite office?"
Again, cue me staring dumbly at the phone, wondering if this woman -- and everyone else I've talked to up there and told that it's a pretty big pain in the butt for me to get up there with a new job -- has the IQ of molded Swiss.
OF COURSE I WANT TO DO ALL MY MONITORING AT THE SATELLITE OFFICE. ARE YOU GUYS INSANE? WHY WOULD I RATHER DRIVE ALL THE WAY TO IOWA CITY?
"Yes, I would love to do all my monitoring at the satellite office."
So she said that's completely appropriate, that my retrieval and transfer will still be in Iowa City, but the rest can be done here.
All I can do is laugh at this. Since we started this process I've been worrying myself sick over how I'm going to get away with taking all this time off from my new job to get all this testing done, and here it's not that difficult at all. For the love of ..... They really don't hand out the info like they should. Flipping satellite office. Who knew?


6 comments:
Geez... Can you catch a break! I swear sometimes we just have to laugh. :) Glad you are finally aware of the other office and you dont have to drive so far.
Haha... atleast you can laugh at this stuff, its good you don't take it too seriously. Like the new blog look!
Aaaaaaaaaaagh. Kudos to your sister for coming to your rescue.
And, yes, it's a silly way to find out, but the satellite office is a nice little blessing, don't you think?
Satellite office - WHAT? How come they don't ever mention that?? Great to hear it though, that should save you lots of time and gas money!
Geez! YOu think they would have told you about he satelite office as soon as they knew you were from Davenport!! Hope everything goes well!
BTW, if you ever need a ride again, im also home all day and would only have one litle guy to pack up!
That's awesome I had NO idea they had a satellite office, where is it? That is great news and I'm sure a huge relief.
Post a Comment