Visit Stirrup Queens for more information

Monday, October 19, 2009

Apparently, I'm having a baby. Like, SOON.

I had my 37-week appointment last week, where my doctor mentioned that he will be out of town the week I'm due, but back on the 8th of November (I'm due the 6th). He said, "Next week when you come in and we check you, we can strip your membranes for you and you'll probably go into labor within 72 hours. That way you don't have to have a different doctor if you go into labor while I'm gone."

I believe my response was something really articulate and brilliant, like, "Um.....You wanna do what now?"

Because, as we're all well-aware, I'm pregnant, but I'm not having a BABY. Not anytime soon, at least.

I sort of stuttered and stammered and told him I'd have to think about it. He said it's totally up to me, but I'm out of room, and plus the whole he's going to be out of town thing, and the whole she dropped and I'm so unbearably uncomfortable I can hardly see straight thing.

So we talked about it, and we've decided we're going to go ahead and do that. Wednesday at 2:45 is my next appointment, so she may be here by the weekend.

Holy. Freaking. Crap.

They send someone home with you and the baby to supervise and make sure you know what the hell is going on, right? I'm sure there's at least some kind of instruction manual. Right? RIGHT?

*Just tell me that there is so I stop freaking out.*

I expected a stronger reaction from Brian. He hates change. I sort of expected him to freak out and say under no circumstances was I to let her outta there before November 6.

All he did was ask a few questions about my maternity leave and the H1N1 vaccine, and then said, "Well, she's gotta come sometime."

I told him I was freaking out, and, "Won't you join me???"

He didn't. Jerk.

Once I got my head wrapped around the idea, though, I calmed down. I'm totally ready to not be pregnant anymore. As I mentioned, I think she dropped. I have to pee every time I stand up. That means that I go to the bathroom, pee, stand up, and have to pee again.

Doesn't that sound fun?

I was up every hour and a half to go to the bathroom last night. That was after having contractions all day and being fairly sure I was in labor, which it's now clear I wasn't, because I'm at work today.

Today's my mom's birthday. I think she's turning 28. Yep. That's what it is. 28 She was hoping Ellie would come today. I don't think that's going to happen.

Sorry, Mom.

There's one small part of me that's relieved that I wasn't in labor, and that's the part that realizes I don't want to work on this gigantic transcript while on maternity leave, so I'd better get it done in the next few days. I did get the check for it already, but haven't cashed it yet. I'm about 20 pages from being done with the first half, then have another 150 pages to edit on the second day, and then 250 pages to proofread, so I'm making good progress. I know it doesn't sound like I am, but trust me.

I thought I'd pop on to give a little update, though, as some people are probably wondering where I am and whether or not I've gone into labor. Someone suggested I have Brian update that everything went fine. Either he or I will, I promise. I'll probably have my laptop at the hospital, and they have wireless Internet, so updates will come soon after she's born.

I may be on before then, I may not. I pretty much feel like crap, so I can't guarantee anything.

*I pretty much lost all my funny by the end of this*

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I know how you feel with the baby dropping. The only difference is, I didnt realize it meant anything! Duh! I felt like I had to poop constantly cuse he was sitting so low. I had NO IDEA he was going to be coming early! At least you are more prepared than I was!! =)

And dont worry, you will be fine. And if you need ANY help you know im always home!!


Keep us posted! Love ya!

Elizabeth_K said...

THis is the worst thing I'll tell you, but that stripping the membranes HURTS MORE THAN YOU THINK. Maybe just because this time we did it at 37 weeks (and it didn't work --- here I am at 40 weeks, still pregnant), but ... OUCH. I don't remember it being so painful last time. Either way, you'll have your daughter soon, and you're going to EXCEL at it, I'm sure.

Just Me said...

Oh, my gosh. I'm ROFL at having to pee when you stand up after peeing. SO TRUE even when my babies never fully dropped.

You really will be fine. If you believe you're stuck for a solution on something, that's what grandmothers are for. Maternity wards usually welcome and expect phone calls from new moms during the first few weeks.

I've asked before; are you on Eclipse? If so, I'll happily help scope that transcript if you get stuck, and all you'll need to do is proofread. No charge.

Cort said...

I'm on Case Catalyst, and I'm already proofing the transcript, but I sure appreciate the offer! I'm making good progress, otherwise I'd totally take you up on that (but I'd pay you, 'cause you should be paid for that kind of stuff!).

Elizabeth - If I'm still pregnant in two weeks, I'm going to be REALLY ticked. I hope you go into labor soon!

Unknown said...

I've heard it doesn't usually work unless your body is ready to go naturally anyway and since you didn't share dialation or effacement info not sure where you sit on that. Hope it works for you though and isn't painful!

Anonymous said...

The membrane thing does hurt... but it did not put me into labor. Sometimes they have to do it more than once. My big "you are going into labor" red flag was the mucus plug. Sick... totally. But once that it gone there is no turning back. We will be thinking of you and we cannot wait to hear of her arrival. You will be great - and somewhere magically between now and then you just turn into a mom. :-)

Erin Burton said...

The membrane thing does hurt... but it did not put me into labor. Sometimes they have to do it more than once. My big "you are going into labor" red flag was the mucus plug. Sick... totally. But once that it gone there is no turning back. We will be thinking of you and we cannot wait to hear of her arrival. You will be great - and somewhere magically between now and then you just turn into a mom. :-)